zondag 14 maart 2010

Second time Great Ocean Road

Dear all!
I just came home from an incredibly cool weekend!
I went with a bunch of people to the Great Ocean Road to - for the first time in my life - try to surf!
We left Saturday morning with a van and a car, the mood was good and so was the music :)
It took us about two hours to get to the beach where we hired surfboards and suits and got ready for the adventure. Now, the waves were not really very big, but quite big for beginners so the balance ended up being the waves catching us instead of us catching the waves...It was fun though! The times that it was me catching a wave I got quite a rush and I even managed to sit on my knees :) But most of the times, at a certain point the water would just grab me and kick me around, with me not knowing which side was up and which was down, afraid to get the surfboard on my head, or to hit somebody else with it!!! I think I had enough salt for the week :)
It's incredible how tiring it is so after half an hour, maybe 45 mins I decided that the beach was a better friend.
After returning the surfboards we drove to the camping site (and I saw my FIRST KANGAROO!!!!! It was sooo beautiful, him hopping through the fields, with the late afternoon sun - amazing!), installed ourselves and had a pick-nick of delicious pizzas in the light of a nearby lamppost. In order not to disturb the other camping guests (we were a group of 14 young people...) we moved to the beach to chill. The stars there were really a-ma-zing... Southern Cross high up in the sky and a milky way that seemed unreal, with so many stars! And than the ocean underneath. I felt a very small but really very happy little person standing there between all those giants of nature!
The night was quite cold and after six I didn't sleep much. First I was grumpy about it, but then I suddenly had the great idea that I could go watch the sunrise on the beach! So I got up and walked to the beach. Unfortunately my bright idea had come a little too late, the sun was already up, but the beauty of it was still breathtaking!
Today, although the waves were much friendlier I was too tired and lazy to try and surf again. So I laid on the beach, I spend lots of time floating around in the water and having fun at the rocks, falling asleep and chatting with however was near.
And now I am home again...pretty sunburned (my color is closer to a lobster than to a human), tired, but utterly zen and happy!

Cheers!
Sara

PS. Some pictures!



The beach



Getting ready for the surfing



The campsite



Sunset



Early in the morning



It was really soooo beautiful :)



Gold!



A little friend



A few minutes later



The rocks!



Us...

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Iedere keer als ik je blog lees, denk ik 'dat wil ik ook dat wil ik ook dat wil ik ook'... vooral al die mooie dingen zien! Dat surfen hoeft dan niet heel perse...;-) Stippel maar een fijn mooie-dingen-zie-programma uit als ik kom, ik krijg er steeds meer zin in! :-)

    Liefs,
    Ilse

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Ziet er heel sportief en avontuurlijk uit! Jippie:)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Woow Saar,
    Wat fantastisch allemaal. Hoe staat het ondertussen met de kreeftstatus? Hier duurt het denk ik nog wel even voordat we de kans heben die status te bereiken :) Maar het zonnetje laat zich zo af en toe al eens zien :D. Je schrijft erg leuk vind ik je feitjes zijn leuk om te horen. Als ik dit zo lees en de foto's zie krijg ik zelf ook steeds meer zin om op reis te gaan. Vet leuk!!! He lieve sara, geniet van dit mooie land en het leuke en bruisende melbourne.

    Veel Liefs Dinne

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen