zondag 27 februari 2011

Ruinas, piñatas y la vida en general

Dear All!
I am sorry for the long silence…It was not meant to be that long, but life has been so busy that I can hardly find time to write a blog…What I did do is upload photos every time I was on a computer, so I got a lot of pictures for you!
Let´s see…where should I start…
Two weeks ago I went to Pisac, a village about an hour from here in the beautiful Valle Sagrado. I went with my flat mate Levana, Jorinde (also from my University) and some of her friends. Pisac is a little village known for its traditional market and impressive Inca ruins and so we decided to go check that out. The way there was already beautiful: first climbing out of Cusco, curve by curve being able to see the whole city from above. Then driving through the green mountains until descending into Valle Sagrado. In Pisac we decided to go straight to the ruins and leave the town for later. Although we were a bit shocked by the price the views were worth it! There were different groups of ruins and you could walk along them on you way back to Pisac. The first hour we had a beautiful sun, but soon there were terrifying dark clouds coming and the last hour we walked in the rain. That prevented us from hanging out much around the rest of the ruins, but it was a spectacular road down to the town and I couldn´t stop looking around marveled (and taking a lot of pictures). Once in town we were so exhausted from walking down a steep hill for an hour, so hungry and so wet that we headed straight to a nice little restaurant, were we had a great lunch and then we went home to sleep 
Besides that we had a party last Monday to celebrate the end of the holidays and that day was also used to celebrate the children´s birthdays, because they don´t get their own birthdayparty. It was a full afternoon. First I went with Levana to the house where I work on Wednesdays (in another barrio) to take the children from there to the house where the party would be. It was a bit of an adventure to take 10 kids in the Peruvian bus system, but we were quite lucky to catch a big bus and it all went very well. When we arrived the party had still not started, but soon it got going, with dancing, a lot of eating and the best part: piñatas!
Piñatas are a Spanish speaking country tradition in which the birthday boy/girl is blindfolded and turned around and then with a stick has to beat a colorful cardboard box that can have all kind of different shapes and that is filled with sweets until it bursts open and then all the guests dive to the floor to get as much candy as possible! We had three piñatas, one for the small children, one for the bigger children and one for the teenagers. It was really nice although the diving turned out to be quite a violent affair with these kids!!!
In the end there was cake, goodbyes and cleaning up. We left very happy and tired…
Furthermore my life revolves about busy weeks in the organization and busy weekends hanging on the main square where I got some friends among the shoe shining boys. Together we climb out of Cusco Valley to admire the city from above, hang around ruins, visit museums (yes, with 13 and 14 year old teenagers – it was their idea), me joke about people walking around and even have some serious conversations some times…With my roommates I go out for dinner and talk for long hours in our now rather busy home. And…today I went to get my new guitar, entirely made to suit my wishes, made by one of the brothers who are supposed to be the best guitar builders in Cusco! I am very happy. To tame that happiness my old enemy sinusitis turned up unexpectedly this night and is literally giving me headache (and other nasty side effects). Ah well, if I manage to rest tomorrow and behave a bit like I am actually ill I might be able to expulse him!
A much nicer visit, and expected with much more anxiety is the one of Lotte and Christoph who are honoring me with their visit in exactly one week!!! I am really looking forward to that! I am going to take a week off and then, finally, I will see Machupicchu…a place that has been on my ´list´ for quite some years now!
So my friends, next news will probably include pictures of that place and of my dear Lotte and Christoph!

Hasta Pronto!
Sara




Surroundings of my work 1


Surroundings of my work 2


The other house where I work


Getting the kids to the party


Cutest bros in town


Bailando


Piñata time


Diving onto the sweets


Pisac - Valle Sagrado


Beautiful Andes


Pisac ruins


The group


Ruins in the shape of a Condor


More ruins


The roas down to Pisac

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Hoi Sara,

    Mooie verhalen weer en nog mooiere foto's! Geweldig hoe leuk het daar is en wat je allemaal doet! Jaloers! En hoe fijn dat je eindelijk een fatsoenlijke gitaar hebt, daar ben je zeker aan toe!
    Het allerbeste daar en veel plezier met Lotte en Christoph.
    groetjes
    Christie

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I completely agree with Christie :)
    (the image with yellow flowers is strikingly beautiful...)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Wat fijn dat je het daar zo naar je zin hebt! Moooooie foto's! Ditte is trouwens in je Motief begonnen, om het antroposofische gehalte in huis een beetje op pijl te houden :-) Doe de groetjes aan die lieve kindjes, er is bijna hele leuke post naar ze onderweg! (als in: als Ditte die vandaag op de bus doet, haha)
    Liefs, Ilse

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen